Monday, August 5, 2013

Getting Started

OK, I finally broke down and decided to try blogging.  I can't say for sure if the focus is going to be on books, writing, politics, daily thoughts or what, but I'll try to keep it interesting.  The conversation begins!!

 (Please respond with even just a brief  'Hi' so I'll know who's getting this.)

 My Original Website: "Tom's Page of Literature and Poetry"
 
Up until a few years ago I was editing a newsletter for retirees of Grossmont college. In that publication I normally reviewed several books, some old, some new, mostly fiction  I posted most of these reviews on a website I set up at geocities.com
, "Tom's Page of Literature and Poetry".  The hosting service, geocities, has since been shut down (purchased by Yahoo, I believe) but my website has been archived, pretty much intact, at the following location:

 http://web.archive.org/web/20091027004330/geocities.com/tomtales/
 

On this website, you'll find close to 100 book reviews, with my rating, as well as a sampling of some of my own published short stories and  poetry, and interviews with New Mexico authors Tony Hillerman and Mike McGarrity. Check it out.


 In case you're wondering about the header picture on my Blog, it's Shiprock, New Mexico.  I was raised on and off not too far from there during the late 30's and early 40's.  My mom's parents lived near there and we often stayed with them when dad was at sea (yes, I was a Navy brat), especially during the war years of 1941-45.  My memories of that time and place are so pleasurable that I've been a New-Mexico-phile ever since.

I attended Farmington HS  very briefly (1947, freshman), and enrolled at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (now New Mexico Tech) in Socorro as soon I got out of the Marines (1952-55). After 3 semesters, I transferred to the University of New Mexico In Albuquerque for one semester before transferring to the University of Maryland (to be closer to Rosemarie, my bride to be).  Rosemarie and I have returned to New Mexico many times since moving to California in 1958...to visit my relatives, explore the ruins at Aztec, Chaco Canyon and Bloomfield, enjoy brief vacations in Santa Fe and Albuquerque and see the many sights in that part of the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment